Whether you’re serving up a juicy plate of BBQ or slinging pizzas, we all know that a beer is often the best accompaniment. If you’re a restaurant or dining venue looking to offer alcoholic beverages alongside your delicious food, then you will need to follow the guidelines of the Texas Alcoholic Beverage Commission and be properly licensed to do so.

Restaurant and dining venues with alcohol service or bars

The process of applying for a TABC license, complying to any restrictions and regulations that come with it, and ensuring that your renewal goes smoothly can be complex. Luckily, Ranger Licensing offers expert support for your licensing needs. Based out of Houston, Texas, they proudly offer services to any restaurant or dining venue throughout the great state of Texas.

How Ranger Licensing Can Help Obtain a Texas Liquor License

With years of experience, Ranger Licensing specializes in helping all three tiers of the liquor industry–manufacturers, wholesalers, and retailers.Operated by two distinguished attorneys, Ranger Licensing also proudly offers legal services to ensure your business can get all of their needs covered.

Ranger Licensing has helped countless businesses go through the process of obtaining their TABC licenses or permits, which means they deeply understand the process. Utilizing their services helps to ensure that your application process goes smoothly, is filled out accurately, and that your business remains in compliance.

With a focus on meeting the needs of every client, Ranger Licensing specializes in being specific and thorough for every business they help. Whether you are a restaurant that offers live entertainment or a dining hall that only operates on weekends, we can work with you to create a unique plan for your business.

Types of TABC Liquor Licenses and Permits for Restaurants and Dining Venues

Different liquor licenses may be required of your business, depending on your business model. Some factors affecting what license you need may include whether you want to allow for consumption strictly on the premises or not, whether your venue has live entertainment, and what type of alcoholic beverages are being served.

The most common licenses for restaurants that serve alcoholic beverages tend to be the Mixed Beverage Permit, which allows the sale of mixed drinks, cocktails, and spirits; or the Beer and Wine Permit, which allows for the sale of beer and wine but not liquor. So, for example, if you are a pizza restaurant and want people to be able to enjoy pitchers of beer with their slice, then the Beer and Wine Permit would likely be the right choice for you.

Below are three key types of licenses and permits that are typically required for these establishments in Texas:

  • Mixed Beverage Permit (MB):
    • This permit allows restaurants and dining venues to sell mixed drinks, cocktails, and spirits. It’s essential for establishments that want to offer a full bar service, including the sale of liquor, beer, and wine.
  • Beer and Wine Permit (BG):
    • Ideal for restaurants and dining venues that plan to serve only beer and wine, and not liquor. This permit is often a popular choice for smaller establishments or those focusing on a specific type of cuisine that pairs well with beer and wine selections.
  • Food and Beverage Certificate (FB):
    • This certificate is recommended, and in some cases required, in addition to the MB or the BG permit if the establishment makes a significant portion of its revenue from the sale of food. It’s crucial for venues where food service is a primary aspect of the business, ensuring a balance between alcohol sales and food sales.

TABC Compliance and Renewals

It’s essential that every business stays compliant with the TABC. Operating without the correct license, or failing to comply with all regulations and restrictions, can result in suspension or revocation of your license, fines, and even jail time.

Ranger Licensing offers expert understanding of all regulations, and can help you ensure that you follow all guidelines including having the correct signage posted, understanding the underage drinking laws in your area, and more. Additionally, we can help you through the process of renewing your license, which needs to be renewed every two years.

Having a dedicated legal team is a great benefit as you navigate the complexities of operating a business.

Restaurants and Dining Venues That Need Texas Liquor Licensing Services

In Texas, we love a great meal and, luckily, the state is filled with a wide assortment of dining options. Each type of restaurant or dining venue comes with its own complex operation and it’s essential to work with a team who understands your specific business type.

Ranger Licensing understands the needs of every restaurant type and is happy to help you create a specific plan. Some important reasons your business may need a specific type of license:

  • Fine Dining Restaurants: From filet mignon to a perfectly baked souffle, fine dining restaurants often also serve beautifully crafted alcoholic beverages, including wine, spirits, and cocktails.
  • Casual Dining Restaurants: With a more relaxed setting than fine dining and a focus on comforting favorites, casual dining restaurants often offer craft beers, wines, and mixed drinks.
  • Family-Style Restaurants: With a wide range of menu options for everyone from the youngest to the oldest in the family, family-style restaurants often also serve alcoholic beverages for adult diners.
  • Ethnic Cuisine Restaurants: Specializing in specific ethnic foods, these restaurants often serve traditional alcoholic beverages that complement their cuisine, such as sake in Japanese restaurants or wine in Italian eateries.
  • Bistros and Cafés: Smaller, casual dining venues often focusing on coffee, light meals, and may also serve a selection of wines and beers for those who enjoy the relaxing atmosphere after their caffeine-fueled workday.
  • Bars within Restaurants: Many restaurants feature a dedicated bar area, requiring specific licensing for the sale of spirits, cocktails, beer, and wine.
  • Themed Restaurants: Establishments with a specific theme (e.g., sports, music, historical) that also serve alcoholic beverages to enhance the thematic dining experience.
  • Gastro Pubs: A blend of a pub and restaurant, focusing on high-quality food along with a comprehensive selection of alcoholic drinks, especially craft beers and ales.
  • Buffet Restaurants: Offering a variety of dishes in a buffet style, and some may include an option for alcoholic beverages, particularly in higher-end buffet settings.

Choosing the right legal services to meet your needs is one of the most important decisions you’ll make as a business owner. Ranger Licensing offers unique specialization and expert care for all of your TABC licensing needs.

For more information or to schedule a free consultation, contact us today at (713) 881-9009.

Restaurants and Dining Venues with Alcohol Service or Bars FAQs

What Types of TABC Licenses Do Restaurants and Bars Typically Need?

Depending on what type of alcohol you’ll be selling, you will likely need either a Mixed Beverage Permit or a Beer and Wine Permit in addition to your Food and Beverage Certificate.

How Can a Restaurant or Bar Ensure Compliance with TABC Regulations?

Understand the restrictions and regulations that affect your specific license. This may include such elements as having the correct signage posted, giving notice of your intention to have a liquor license in local papers, and more.

What are the Challenges in Obtaining a Liquor License for a Unique or Non-Traditional Restaurant or Bar?

If you are a unique dining venue, there may be additional complexities to what type of license or additional permits you may need. Ranger Licensing can help you determine your exact needs.